How to add a favicon to your blog

Filed under: , by: Luka

Hello everyone! Today you will learn how to add a favicon to your blog. But what is favicon? I think that the picture below explains it best.


So, it's that little icon that you can see when you open a new tab, bookmark a link, search browsing history.... If you don't make your own, a standard blogger icon will appear instead. So, do you want to have a favicon? Well, here's how to make one.

Step 1
First, we have to create it. You can do it in programs like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Picasa.... But there are also free favicon generators on the internet. Just google "favicon generator" and you will find them. Use 16*16 or 32*32 pixsels size.

Step 2
Save your icon as .gif. Go to "Picasa Web albums" (just google it), and upload you image there. View the image and copy it's URL.

Step 3
Edit your template's HTML. Find the following code:

<title><data:blog.pageTitle/></title>

Type this just after it:

<link href='*' rel='shortcut icon' type='image/x-icon'/>

Replace * with image's URL. Save the tamplate.

Step 4
Visit your blog. You should notice that your favicon has changed. If you have any problems or question, please leave a comment.


2 comments:

On 6 August 2009 at 02:33 , sampaguita said...

I love favicon, it makes you more legit and branded.

 
On 25 December 2009 at 20:57 , Ann Martin Photography BLOG said...

I've attempted to add my favicon numerous times and I've now got my blogger template so screwed up I don't know what to delete and what not to.

I just tried your instructions, but blogger said it couldn't save my changes because something wasn't closed. I'm sure it's something I've messed up.

I'm just so frustrated with this seemingly simple addition.